Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Little Cooking Help

We are pretty much adjusted and I am getting used to cooking here.  There are lots of good foods, but I am getting bored of the meals I know how to make and there are foods I don't know what to do with.  So I am looking for ideas for more meals.  Here are the foods that are readily available:

eggplant
green beans
potatoes
carrots
red/green peppers - my husband and I don't really care for them and our kids really dislike them, but we are working on changing that
squash - I have no idea what kind it is, but it's some sort of squash/zucchini that I could substitute for zucchini
pumpkin - it's not our traditional pumpkin - it's green on the outside, but looks like pumpkin on the inside
broccoli
cauliflower

chickpeas
bulgar - i have no idea what to do with this
other beans - mostly white, but i don't recognize them and cannot find any translation

chicken - our main staple
hamburger - i think I found ground beef, but it's like $12/lb, so I'm trying to use it minimally
lamb - we have eaten it and it's good, but I have no idea how to cook it

We don't have a microwave, but did buy a toaster oven that can bake things pretty well, just small scale. So....if you have any ideas/suggestions for what meals I can make....I would LOVE to hear your ideas!!

Thanks!!

3 comments:

Linds said...

Chickpeas: good for making hummus, though I understand there is a learning curve on that one and it may be cheaper/easier to just buy hummus. You can also roast them in your oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese or lemon-pepper for a high protein snack.

Eggplant: I have only had it in a few dishes but it is delicious. I am betting you can use it the same way you would a squash, as it has a similar consistency, but I'm not sure. I don't know any recipes but you should look up eggplant parmesan. Its like lasagna but with fried eggplant slices instead of noodles. Yum!

Bulgar- it's similar to cracked wheat so you could use it for breakfast cereal, or I understand it can be substituted for rice in most rice dishes. You can also grind it and make bread but that seems like a lot of work!

Pumpkins- The only recipe I have ever seen them in is soup (which is delicious), but you can also make a puree of them and put it into other things, like pancakes.

Cauliflower- It seems like they kind of take on the flavor of whatever else you cook with them so I have seen them used as a mashed potato substitute. They make a good soup too and I just recently saw a recipe for "chicken nuggets" made out of cauliflower. Never tried them so I can't vouch for them but it seems like an interesting idea.

Anyway, hopefully that gives you a few ideas. I think the best bet is to make friends with the locals and see how they do it. That's how I learned to make the few good mexican dishes I know(though admittedly that was easier since I spoke the language : )

I'm glad you guys are finally settling in after all the hassle of getting there! Good luck in all your adventures, cooking and otherwise.

Afton LeSueur said...

Can you get cheese? I am planning on trying this recipe as soon as I get home
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2013/12/roasted-cauliflower-and-white-cheddar-soup.html

and it is mostly just cauliflower and cheddar cheese.

I hope you guys are doing well!

Meredith said...

I am so glad to read your family is doing better.
this website might help. Do ever make skillet potatoes? (I guess I like ketchup with it but maybe they would be good without. http://www.turkishfoodandrecipes.com/