Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Our First Tree

This is the first year we've had an actual Christmas tree (at least one that wasn't made out of paper). Growing up I always enjoyed pretty trees, not the homemade looking ones.

Well.....ours is definitely one that looks homemade.  We had no ornaments and I didn't want to buy any because I knew they would get destroyed.  Solution -  we made some.  The girls had lots of fun....and it matters to them.

I'm rather proud of our tiny 4' tree with a star made of iron pony beads and hand crafted ornaments made mostly by a 3 year old with occasional help from the 5 year old sister.

In case you can't tell by looking, it has been tipped over several times, all but 1 cinnamon ornament have been eaten by TJ, and majority of the ornaments have been taken off and tossed around multiple times!!


1 comments:

Cathryn said...

I wanted to comment on your other post about being poor, then reading this post about a tree just made me smile. I remember when Ryan and I moved to Houston from Los Angeles. We were so poor and he didn't have a job. We couldn't afford a tree but didn't want to be total Scrooges so I think we ended up buying a dying wreath for 50% off on Christmas Eve. The pine needles kept falling on the floor whenever the door would shut. I saw the wreaths at the store this year and smiled at the memory, even though it was a hard several years for us and still bittersweet. Good luck in getting some more stability in your lives! It is so hard. I hate reading advice columns about how to save money and they give advice like, "Pack a lunch" or "Make your own coffee." It's hard to cut down when you are bare bones already. I hope you get a lot of orders for quiet books! I was also wondering if you had ever looked at care.com. A lot of people in my wards have watched one or two kids from their home to help with the bills. I know that some of them use care.com to connect with people. It might not work, but it's a thought. Good luck!