Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Successful Failure


A few weeks ago I was inspired by my friend Rhonda who decorated an adorable cake for her daughter's birthday. I have never decorated anything in my life and have minimal artistic abilities, but my creative juices began to flow. I scrounged up some decorating supplies and did some online searching for instructions on how to use them. I read lots of tips and suggestions and began the process. You can see above how the cake turned out. It would be a failure as far as asthetics go, but I'm choosing to consider it a success for my first attempt because of the things I learned:
* Put lots of flour in the cake pan. I thought I had enough, but when I tried to take it out of the pan it came out in a few different pieces. Oops.
* Cream cheese frosting is my absolute favorite. However, it doesn't work for decorating. It just kind of blobs together.
* I found a recipe for frosting with shortening that works much better for decorating.
* I hate frosting with shortening!! I spent an hour trying to scrub everything clean and it's just one big greasy mess. It also tastes nasty. Double bummer.
Despite the fact that it didn't look very good, we were able to scrape off the nasty frosting and it still tasted pretty yummy. I didn't hear any complaints, but I think in the future I'll settle for simply frosting the cake. No fancy stuff for me.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Your cake is darling! It doesn't look like a failure at all- way to go! Yeah- the frosting with shortening is kind of gross!

Kristen Weller said...

That is a cute cake! Steve wants me to make a cake shaped like a "1" for Josh's b-day party with the family this weekend and I am less than excited. I am a cupcake fan myself- frosting and sprinkles is about the extent of my creativity! We'll see. (PS- thanks for the tip about flour in the pan. I'll be sure to use plenty!)

Natalie said...

I've learned a few tricks, I'll have to pass some of them along sometime. Although I've found that it looks easier than it really is.