Monday, November 10, 2014

My Own Etsy Shop

I haven't posted on here or done anything lately....except sew, sew, and sew some more.  Today I opened up my own etsy shop, Simpledayz. After hours and hours of work I have exactly 1 item to sell (well, actually 6 of the same item).

Here's the culprit:  a quiet book.







I know, I know....not the best photos.  But I'm tired and I don't care right now!!

For any of you that have ever made one or anything similar you know they are insanely monotonous and time consuming to make.  A few years ago I made one for our girls and when I finally finished it I loved it.  BUT I vowed I would never make another one again.

So, why would I make one now?

Because I've been thinking of ways I can contribute financially to our family.  I've been thinking about it for a while, but haven't come up with any realistic ideas....not with the 3 little ones around at least.  Until one day I was sitting in church and the idea of making and selling quiet books came to me.

I tried not to think about it.  I didn't want to make them.  I didn't like the idea of the time consuming project.  The risk of no one buying them.  The risk of failure. And did I mention how time consuming they are to make?

But the idea wouldn't go away.  So, I begin purchasing supplies, brainstorming pages, making patterns, and finally sewing....then sewing some more.  A few weeks later and lots of hours at the sewing table (aka dining table, play dough, and paint table) I have several finished.

So, today I created a shop and listed an item for sale.  The shop is simple - okay, it's beyond simple.  It's plain and needs work, but it's going to have to work for today.

I'm glad the sewing is done for now.  I'm glad I've ventured onto it.  It's nice to know I can accomplish something.  And...if none of them sell, I've got some great gifts!

4 comments:

Kyle, Cassie and Kids said...

Love this idea Britt! You are so talented. :) Good Luck! I'm sure it will go really well.

Afton LeSueur said...

Good for you! I'm so impressed by your entrepreneurship! And the books look perfect!

mn_cnking said...

supper cute books - have you thought of contacting a mens clothing store and see if they need anyone to hem pants pays form 10 to 25 per pair. love you guys and miss my chocolate milk vistors

Unknown said...

I actually think that the shots of the books look great. You did an amazing job on sewing them. I'm sure children are going crazy over them by now. Here's to more successful projects this new year! Cheers! :)

Erick Brooks @ Ripple Web