Thursday, April 3, 2014

Motherhood

Motherhood is not easy for me.  Maybe I should say it's not natural (because I think it's probably hard for everyone).  I'm pretty sure when we were standing in line for talents in the pre-earth life I skipped all of them labeled nurturing, loving, patience, caring, tolerating 5,000 questions a day - you know all those qualities you need lots of to be a mom.  Those things just don't come naturally to me.

As a parent I have no stinking clue what I'm doing.  I realize we are just supposed to do our best, but what is best? Sometimes I just don't know and sometimes (most of the time) it's hard. And frustrating.

Anyway...just trying to give you my background, not a dose of birth control...I came across a website a while ago..... Power of Mom's.  I love it.  I have been able to read articles and listen to podcasts from other moms.  Mom's who understand the challenges and frustrations.  They talk about their difficulties and offer their suggestions and inspiration.  It has been so neat to learn from other mothers.  I feel like my perspective has changed from merely surviving to enjoying being a mom.

Anyway...I have really appreciated the help and just wanted to recommend it to anyone who might benefit.

5 comments:

Afton LeSueur said...

I just want you to know that you are totally my mom-role model! Everytime I'm being a bad mom, I take a deep breath and think, "be more like Brittany." I think you are doing great!

Ilene and Zac Thatcher said...

I am totally with you britt. I feel like zac got all the nurturing and patient genes for parenting amd i got the temper and suck it up genes. I've struggled with this as well but i'm working on it amd yhank goodness for our amazing Gospel and Church. I pray every day to be a good mom amd wife and that everyome will feel loved. My biggest comforting tips i have heard or come up with are: Heavenly Father specifically sent those children to you because of your specific personality and talents. Nobody could do a better job than you. And my home's motto is now "This is our house." I try not to compare our parenting or family choices and styles against anyone else's. But yes, mothering is nuts. We didn't think of this at 12 did we?

Anonymous said...

You do a great job. My hands off to you for being able to live a "nomads" life and making life interesting and meaningful for the kids. Keep up the great work. Wish we could get to see you guys before you head back to USA.

Gramps.

Anonymous said...

One of the GREATEST rewards of being a grandparent is that you can take the little kids, do what you want to enjoy and spoil them, and then turn them back over to their parents to fix what you just did. Maybe that is why all our kids moved our grandkids to all parts of he globe and none stayed around us.

You are doing a great job! You just need to find their "On-Off" switch at night.

Gramps

Rhonda said...

First of all, I think you are one of the most amazing, patient and creative mothers there are! But, I know exactly how it feels to feel like you are falling short as a mother, and that feeling stinks! I am so glad that you found the power of moms, and that it is helping you out.